At Beth Chaim we engage internally with our interfaith families and externally with other local faith communities to support, learn from and collaborate across all faith traditions.
All of our Beth Chaim families strive to live meaningful lives, secure our loved ones, celebrate our joys and share the burden of our sorrows in the context of choosing to join our Jewish congregation.
Beth Chaim actively promotes programs to build a strong interfaith community, to teach ourselves and our children how to live lives that honor acceptance, promote cross-tradition collaboration and living productive lives in a diverse community.
We provide support, workshops and programs to help our members nurture a healthy family as they explore and clarify their commitments and cultivate deep and meaningful life-long experiences. We offer programs and support in two crucial Interfaith areas:
- For our Beth Chaim Interfaith families - What does it mean to each partner when only one person is Jewish? What challenges does it present in our relationships or for our children? These, and many more, are important questions to be wrestled with and there are many decisions to be made along the journey.
- For our diverse Interfaith community – How do we meaningfully participate in our greater social and economic community composed of a broad variety of faith traditions? How do we build strong and capable bridges across unique spiritual and traditional practices? How do we explore our differences in a climate of trust and well-being?
Links to Interfaith Groups
Below are links to local interfaith groups and other faiths that Beth Chaim is affiliated with:
Workshops and Counsel for Beth Chaim interfaith families. There is a strong desire for periodic workshops for interfaith Beth Chaim families. Each workshop provides significant opportunities for deepening relationships and supporting family growth. These are an important source of support for many of our Beth Chaim families. We offer support through periodic events and family consultation.
- Interfaith Dialogue & Education across faith traditions. Sharing different religious underpinnings, practices and experiences is a powerful antidote for the spread of anti-Semitism and interfaith bullying. Beth Chaim, in conjunction with the I-SRV community, offers open and candid dialogue across multiple traditions. Partnering with other faith tradition clergy and prominent authors and leaders, we explore, expand and evolve our own values and attitudes.
- Interfaith Education. Each year Rabbi Dan challenges our interfaith thinking and values through readings, meaningful dialogue and story in an educational workshop series.
- Beth Chaim Task Force for a Resilient Jewish Community. Our task force “Standing Against Hate and Affirming Our Values” is engaged with and strengthening our relationships with the San Ramon Valley Unified School District, the Anti-Defamation League and other community leaders in supporting our children as they combat anti-Semitism and intolerance in the schools and form lasting inclusive relationships as they grow into adulthood. The task force is forming a Restorative Response Network to strengthen the community’s healing responses to hate crimes in our area.
We believe that lasting and productive partnerships across all faith traditions is integral to our Jewish perspective and the larger East Bay community. There are many opportunities to engage in Beth Chaim’s Interfaith programs.
See how you can create or support any of Beth Chaim’s interfaith activities
- Join the Task Force for a Resilient Jewish Community - click here